Opening an Account for Class
DETERLab accounts for class use can be created by instructors at any institution. Students need to take no action to create an account. Their instructor creates an account for them.
Requesting a New Project for Class - Instructors only
If you already have a DETERLab account, please login first. This will help streamline the process.
- If you are an instructor who wants to request a new project on DETERLab, fill out the New Project Application Form and note that this project is for a class.
- You will be asked a number of questions about your project and how you intend to use DETERLab. Please be detailed, especially with respect to any possible risks from your experiment. Our staff member may contact you to discuss or clarify any potential issues.
- Upon submission, your application must be approved by the DETER Executive Committee; this generally takes a few days. They may contact you and ask for clarification.
- You will receive an email notification upon approval and your user account will be active. You may then log in with the username and password you entered on the form.
- If you are curious about the progress on your application, you may contact us.
If you later desire to use DETERLab in research please apply for a research project. Class projects are configured differently from research projects.
Creating Accounts for Your TA and Students
Before you can create accounts for your TA and students, you need to set up your class.
DO NOT ask students or TAs to open accounts themselves. Follow the steps below.
If this is a repeat offering of the class, make sure to recycle all accounts first (see how). Materials will remain in the class so you can reuse them in the current offering if you like. Remember to change the visibility of materials manually (see how in Manage materials).
To create accounts:
- Copy and paste your students' (or TA's) emails, one per line. Account creation takes up to a minute per student.
- When accounts are created, the system will automatically email the students/TAs so make sure to alert them to the fact that you are signing them up for a DETERLab account.
If your students or TAs later desire to use DETERLab for research, they will need to join a research project and open an individual account on DETERLab. Class accounts are only for class use.
If you run into trouble, please contact us and we will be happy to assist.